[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Anti-Weed has taken over for 2009

Reply to topic
DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
You know, in another 2 weeks no one will care about Michael Phelps anymore and this whole thing will be over anyway.

I never cared about him.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fuck the Michael Phelps thing. It's a much larger issue than measly Phelps McGee.

RIP Hacker.

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's no worse than alcohol in terms of psychological addictiveness, if they tax it it should be legal. Some may stop doing it because it would no longer be "rebelious" to smoke pot and if it costs more with taxing, some others may stop as well and the government will make more money, I really don't see what the big deal is against it as long as it's heavily regulated.

It makes you no more fat with it's munchies than alcohol does because you're attracted to more salty foods and whatnot, or that's what's available where a lot of people drink.

The only thing that really seperates weed from alcohol is if you smoke too much for you, you can hallucinate, but as long as it's illegal too drive and the weed keeps you lazy, it really won't hurt anyone else.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that unlike alcohol, there's no breathalyzer test for weed, so you can't prove DUI. That's why possession itself has to be a crime.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't you have a bag full o' coke in your basement?

Still, you can tell someone's been smoking by checking the eyes - if the pupils don't react to light, or if the eyes are reddish, then the person might have been smoking. Plus, show them a squirrel and observe their reactions.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

anorexorcist
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I didn't even think of that. I'm sure they could come up with something to test it like with alcohol. I'm sure at this point the gov't won't put the money into researching such a thing.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Nekkoru
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we already know everything there is to know about the effects on the body. With that knowledge (and proper police training[1]) every shit-for-brains can check whether somebody's been smoking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis#Short-term_effects

[1]But hey - USA police had drug trainings ever since the sixties (altough, as Hunter S. Thompson shows in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, these programs aren't worth pig shit.

Cameron wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The problem is that unlike alcohol, there's no breathalyzer test for weed, so you can't prove DUI. That's why possession itself has to be a crime.

Is this due to the lack of development or a roadblock due to scientific advancement?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru wrote:
Well, we already know everything there is to know about the effects on the body. With that knowledge (and proper police training[1]) every shit-for-brains can check whether somebody's been smoking

"I can tell he was smoking" isn't a reasonable legal standard. In America, you need to be able to prove these things beyond a reasonable doubt, so I could just say I was red-eyed due to a high pollen count and in the manic cycle of my depression when the cop pulled me over. Cop can't prove I'm lying, so I walk.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I smoke weed once or twice per month before bed as a way of just calming myself. I used to take Atavan for my OCD and anxiety, but got sick of looking like a dipshit in public 24/7. I tried weed on a whim one day, and it honestly just lets me think things through one at a time, stop shaking and worrying about routines, and just made me feel pretty happy. I've seen what it does to people with their memory, emphysema, and cancer, not to mention it being a gateway drug into worse stuff. I kind of consider in the same regards as firearms- ownership and usage are a large responsibility, and some people are not up to that responsibility and will use it do the detriment of good people, and should have access strictly monitored.

I do think it should be placed on strict codes if legalized. It can be highly dangerous to health if not grown properly, increasing the chances of emphysema and cancer beyond that of cigarettes, and I really don't trust large companies with a bottom line to worry about to properly grow and process the stuff.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 04:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've actually never tried it (never really had the opportunity, or the desire to seek it out.) I am pro-legalization, at least on a small scale, because of my grandmother though. She doesn't have the kind of terminal illness that can get a prescription for it in this state, but she has had several double hip replacement surgeries, had the rotator cuff of her shoulder removed, has arthritis, etc etc etc. She said the one thing that really made her feel better a few years back was when the son of the people she was living with (who was a total stoner) would give her a joint to smoke every now and then. So for situations like that, I say hell yes it should be legal.

For people who just want to get high, I don't really have a problem with it as long as the same restrictions placed on things like alcohol (which really can be dangerous if used improperly) are put in place.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 04:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Everytime I talk about it all of the harm I've seen it cause, some guy comes out and says something like his friend's dad is the most successful man in the world or some such crap and used to smoke with his son and all his son's friends and how they all have college degrees and have families and all of their wildest dreams have come true, and even though they are the exception, not the rule, because of the example they set, weed should be okay for everyone.

But I still say I have seen enough lives ruined that I don't want anything to do with it. Sure I know people who get by just fine. But for the most part everyone I know that still gets high post-college and probably half that get high post-high school are just like the Afroman video.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The psychoactive effects of cannabis, known as a "high", are subjective and can vary based on the individual. Some effects may include an altered state of consciousness, mild euphoria, feelings of well-being, relaxation or stress reduction, lethargy (seen more towards higher CBD:THC ratio plants, such as C. indica dominant strains), increased appreciation of humor, music or art, joviality, metacognition and introspection, enhanced recollection (episodic memory), increased sensuality, increased awareness of sensation, increased libido, creative or philosophical thinking, disruption of linear memory, paranoia, agitation or anxiety, experiential augmentation of other psychedelics and increased awareness of patterns and color.[citation needed]

Cannabis also produces many subjective effects, such as greater enjoyment of food taste and aroma, an enhanced enjoyment of music and comedy, and marked distortions in the perception of time and space (where experiencing an up rush of ideas from the bank of long-term memory can create the subjective impression of long elapsed time, while the clock reveals that only a short time has passed). At higher doses, effects can include altered body image, auditory and/or visual illusions, and ataxia from selective impairment of polysynaptic reflexes. In extremely high doses, marijuana can lead to depersonalisation.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

scamrock wrote:

Just because some people can't handle it doesn't mean nobody should be able to use it.

He knows your algorithm.

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Lester Grinspoon is all you need to know.
scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
Just because some people can't handle it doesn't mean nobody should be able to use it.

If most people's drug use doesn't make life more difficult for at least one other person, I may agree. But it's not like a few bad apples are ruining it for everyone. It's more like the majority is ruining it for the minority. Maybe if it were the other way around, I may feel differently, but if you have to sacrifice the harmless leisure of a few to help many, I have no problem with that.

Also, the fact that I am a father may also factor in. I don't care how harmless it can be, when I think of kids getting high and people selling drugs to kids, it gets my blood boiling.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 05:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
If most people's drug use doesn't make life more difficult for at least one other person, I may agree. But it's not like a few bad apples are ruining it for everyone. It's more like the majority is ruining it for the minority. Maybe if it were the other way around, I may feel differently, but if you have to sacrifice the harmless leisure of a few to help many, I have no problem with that.

Also, the fact that I am a father may also factor in. I don't care how harmless it can be, when I think of kids getting high and people selling drugs to kids, it gets my blood boiling.

But if you argue that weed shouldn't be allowed because a small population abuses it, shouldn't alcohol be illegal as well? God knows it kills enough people, and ruins enough families. Frankly, you might have to extend that to smoking too. Granted it doesn't have the same effect on the brain, but the smoke does help kill the users and people around them.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 05:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

docinsano wrote:
Dr. Lester Grinspoon is all you need to know.

I'm all for medical use.

DarknessDeku
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:

I never said I want people selling drugs to kids so they can get high. I think people that can use it responsibly should be able to use it.

He knows your algorithm.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 06:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
scamrock wrote:
DarknessDeku wrote:

I never said I want people selling drugs to kids so they can get high. I think people that can use it responsibly should be able to use it.

I know. I was just adding that on because I used to be more "on the fence". In addition, most people start using when they are a teenager. How many people do you know that stay away from the shit then suddenly start using in adulthood. I'm sure it happens, but pretty much most of the people I know started in high school, most of the rest started in college, while a smaller portion (while still surprisingly high considering) started in junior high.

Nekkoru
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 06:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, teenagers aren't really supposed to be drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes either - but take a look at your street.

The reason I didn't drink until I was 16 was because I had easy access to alcohol all my life - my mom runs a store. Still, I'm barely 17, I have my whole lifetime before me, right? There'll be plenty of time to waste on alcohol later.

Of course, if you want to buy me a beer, then go ahead.

Cameron wrote:

anorexorcist
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Scamrock, you make it sound like weed is on par with crack and heroin almost which is not the case.

I'm sure an adult has to sell it to a kid at one point but around here I've never seen an adult selling, it's mostly kids my age, anywhere from grade 9-12. The biggest seller, or former biggest seller at my school is my age, he used to get shipments of up to 10lbs in at a time but doesn't deal nearly as much, made a shitload of money too.

Adults on the streets trying to drag kids into it I don't like but half those guys are selling fucking oregano any way.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 07:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
scamrock wrote:

But if you argue that weed shouldn't be allowed because a small population abuses it, shouldn't alcohol be illegal as well? God knows it kills enough people, and ruins enough families. Frankly, you might have to extend that to smoking too. Granted it doesn't have the same effect on the brain, but the smoke does help kill the users and people around them.

I'm not arguing because a small population abuses it, I'm arguing that a large population abuses it.

As far as alcohal goes, I think that falls under the two wrongs don't make a right cliche. I will admit that I'm probably a hypocrite because I love beer. But if all of a sudden, they up and made all booze illegal, I would completely understand. I'm not trying to be a lame-o or a square. I'd love for people to be able to cut lose or let go from time to time. But with drugs in general, it seems like more people fuck up than don't. For the sake of people who do it responsibly, I think it sucks that its not the other way around.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but it seems like most of the more responsible people who were doing it socially (not all though) either seriously cut back or quit completely while the fuck ups kept using so that eventually almost everyone I know that still does it is a fuck up.

But like I said, for the people who aren't making life difficult for other people, have at it. It just sucks that in my personal situation, most of my experience with it and the people in my life has been shitty. I've probably contradicted myself several times by now, but I really just have mixed emotions about the whole thing.

In fact, in reality, whether it's legal or not, it's not like the problems will go away, so I shouldn't care one way or another. But I will say this, I'm probably a lot better off because of it being illegal. If I were caught drinking, my parents would have been a lot more understanding than if I were caught with weed. Is that fair? I dunno. But it's just how it was in my house. So that kept me from messing around with it too much. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have used it much more. With my personality, it's not something I need in my life. I would probably be jobless, broke, and living on friend's couches like a mooch with all of my friends who get high for a living. But instead I ended up the type that has a beer while I'm watching the game at a sports bar with a couple of buddies.

I know I'm rambling on, but I just wanted to add that if alcohal were ever made illegal, I would be pissed I couldn't have anymore beer, but if I thought it would save one persons life, I would support it.

scamrock
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 07:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

anorexorcist wrote:
Scamrock, you make it sound like weed is on par with crack and heroin almost which is not the case.

I'm sure an adult has to sell it to a kid at one point but around here I've never seen an adult selling, it's mostly kids my age, anywhere from grade 9-12. The biggest seller, or former biggest seller at my school is my age, he used to get shipments of up to 10lbs in at a time but doesn't deal nearly as much, made a shitload of money too.

Adults on the streets trying to drag kids into it I don't like but half those guys are selling fucking oregano any way.

No, I don't think it is anywhere as bad as the harder drugs. Like I said, if it's a victimless hobby, I don't have a problem with it. Crack and heroin are far from victimless. But for every person who handles weed just fine, I've seen several who let it fuck up their life.

As far as who is selling it, you are right it's mostly teenagers selling it to teenagers. But it comes from somewhere. There are some kids who might grow their own. But for the most the kids selling it are getting it from people someone who has the means of supplying dealers in bulk. Almost always an adult who knows where the stuff is going.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kids shouldn't be around the shit at all, that's still my biggest thing when it comes to drugs.

I used to be a drinking and smoking nazi. I'd find my mom's pipes and shit and destroy them and/or toss them into the woods. She never smoked in front of me (that I remember), but she would in her bedroom... and she'd cough and spray.... like it wasn't obvious. I would drink a little bit once in a while, but only around a small group of close friends, so I was comfortable. I would NEVER drink because I was NOT comfortable. Now it's not the case, as I tend to use both to be more sociable with people I'm not familiar with, especially females... v_v

Or maybe it was the secretiveness of it that always got to me. Regardless, now that I smoke, I try to encourage people to not smoke near/around their kids. It's just not something they should have to deal with until they're older and more able to understand the reasons for which it's used. Of course, if you smoke and it affects your job, lifestyle, or child caring abilities, then you shouldn't do it at all, but then again, it all comes down to responsible use.

EDIT: ANYONE who SELLS to KIDS is a fuckbag. I don't care if you're raising money for your grandmother's surgery, that's complete garbage. Of course, I never by from anyone I don't know or that isn't recommended by someone I know and trust. I'm too paranoid about the number of bad possibilities when dealing with people I have no connection with.

RIP Hacker.

anorexorcist
PostPosted: Feb 17 2009 01:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona, define kids. Some people consider it's under in there teens, under 18 and some consider kids to be under 12

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Reply to topic

Jump to: