"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What I've been up to...

Reply to topic
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as you all may know, I suck when it comes to video games. Like, big time.

After a few sleepless nights, I figured out why - you all grew up with the NES and other games, while I only had a PC and mostly cheated my way through all the games I had.

So, now I try to emulate the typical childhood of a Lexian by playing through all the major games on all major consoles chronologically. I started in 1980 with early computer and arcade games and right now I'm at 1986, playing Gradius and Metroid. When I beat a game, I move up a year.

Have I gone completely insane, or do you think that such a spiritual journey is a good idea?

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 05:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You are definitely on the path to enlightenment, my friend.

Ky-Guy
Title: Obscure Nintendo Gamer
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you're insane. I just think you've been depraved of video games.

If you have a Wii, you can buy games on the Virtual Console. I just wanted to suggest that for when you reach the SNES/Genesis era.

Syd Lexia wrote:
iPhone games are what you play when you can't get at actual games. You know, like how sometimes alcoholics drink mouthwash.

Lexiabot9000 wrote:
Your love life will be happy and harmonious if you stick to masturbating.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Nekkoru
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, funny story about my Wii, actually.

See, I borrowed it for my friend, since the new backup loaders came out, and he is known for having the fastest connection available in my country (whole 10mbit/s), so he started downloading RE4. Unfortunately, these backup loaders don't do jack shit, so we mostly play Brawl and I constantly forget to take a backpack with me when I visit him, so my Wii's been at his house for, I don't know, two months? Maybe more.

But yeah, the Virtual Console is pretty sweet. Now, if I only had a second GCN controller, it'd be awesome. Anyone wants to donate one?

Cameron wrote:

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 06:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry. All my GCN controllers are not here, so I can't donate them.

I want to start playing the classics the way you are, Nekkoru. But I'll just start with the launch of the NES.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 06:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, that's one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard.

I kind of envy you, actually. I really, really wish I could have the experience of playing through some of my favorite games again for the first time (in the same way I wish I could forget the plot of my favorite books so I could read them again fresh.) Not that I don't still love playing them, and get a ton out of them, but...anticipating the plot points coming while on my dozenth play through of (any of) the FF's, Mass Effect, or even something as simple as say, Gun, Shadow of the Colossus or Dragon Warrior is not the same as having that first, visceral emotional reaction the first time you found out how the story was going to play out.

So, enjoy the journey, avoid gamefaq like the plague, and may you find a higher plain of existence before you reach the end. Smile

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Nekkoru
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, Gamefaqs are the only thing that saves my Macbook from being hurled at the wall from frustration brought by Metroid. I _really_ loathe the original game, with the passwords and no map. Zero Mission was better for beginners.

Still, there's only one other significant game released in 1986 that I'm playing - Gradius. Unfortunately, I can't get through the first level (damn rocks).

Plus, 1986 is the year the Master System hit the market, so I have to beat Alex Kidd as well.

Cameron wrote:

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 06:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I should have qualified that. Avoid gamefaq like the plague unless the frustration level is such that even walking away and giving the game a break won't help, and its preventing you from finishing.

I will say, try to use non-spoiler ones whenever you can. I've had more than one great game moment ruined thanks to inadvertently reading the line below the solution I was trying to get to. (Screwed me over on one of the best parts of Ico that I wish I had seen for myself first Sad ).

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 15 2009 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm doing something kinda similar. Instead of playing games I never had, I play games I have (including emulators) but never really played. If a game sucks too much I don't include it though, and it has to be completable. It kills time while I'm short on money. I started about six months ago and I completed 28/203 games, so I should have finished in about 4 years, probably longer because I have a crapload of RPG left, and some games are added once in a while.
Syd_Who
PostPosted: Feb 16 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you've got the time, more power to you. Games back then are from a simpler time, a time, when you would get so DAMN PISSED OFF AT THE DAMN GUY IN THE LAST FUCKING ROOM, BUT NO IT WASN'T THE LAST ROOM, YOU JUST THOUGHT IT WAS....etc, etc. Good Times! Crying
Reply to topic

Jump to: