"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
It's Back Bitches!!! AKA Lordsathien's Spotlight 2.0

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 05:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

After discovering some people actually wanted them to come back, I've decided to ressurect the old Lordsathien's Actor's Spotlight series with this new year. However, I'm dropping the "Actor's" part because I want the option to review not only people but other nouns as well. I'm also considering removing the once-a-month stipulation to give me more time to work on projects that need a lot of work. I wanted to call them "LSD with the Lord;" I had Lights, Sound, but I couldn't think of a good word for the D so I'm sticking with calling it Lordsathien's Spotlight 2.0.

My purpose with these articles has always been to highlight an actor you may have forgotten about, or who was attached to several projects or people you might not know (like John Kassir and his bangin' wife).

Now to get to this first article of 2009. Originally, I was going to work on someone else (it's involving some work I need some programs to find so I properly post it), but as I was watching an episode of Batman I thought now might be a good time to finally put a woman in her place (...in my articles). So now, without further ado, I give you Arleen Sorkin.

Arleen Sorkin

Born October 14, 1956, Arleen Sorkin is an American actress, most famous for portraying Calliope Jones Bradford and Harley Quinn; fictional characters in live action and animation, respectively.

Sorkin began her career in New York City cabarets in the late '70s and early '80's as a member of the comedy group "The High-Heeled Women". (Her fellow members were Mary Fulham, Tracey Berg, and Cassandra Danz.) Later, she went on to become the first female co-host of America's Funniest People (alongside Dave Coulier).
One of her more prominent roles was the wacky but lovable Calliope Jones, as seen on Days of our Lives. She played this part from 1984 to 1990, and even made return visits in 1992 and 2001. On February 24, 2006, she reprised her role on the soap for the fourth time.

Harley Quinn/Harleen Quinzel
Many comic book fans know her as Harley Quinn, the Joker's ditzy sidekick. Paul Dini, a friend of Sorkin's who created Harley for the TV series Batman: The Animated Series, has said in several interviews that he based Harley on her personality and asked her to play the part. Harley later appeared in print in 2002's one-shot comic book Batman: Harley Quinn. Her character also appeared in other related shows: The New Batman Adventures, Static Shock, Justice League, the 3-part "World's Finest" episode of Superman: TAS, as well as Gotham Girls, an internet cartoon series. Harley Quinn in the animated movie Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Lastly, Harley was present in the video games The Adventures of Batman & Robin and Batman Vengeance.

Frasier
Lesser known is her work on the series Frasier. (Her husband Christopher Lloyd was the producer, not to be confused with the actor from Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?). On the show, Sorkin would perform as a caller to Frasier Crane's radio show; the lines would later be dubbed over by a celebrity caller. In the final episode of Frasier, Sorkin had an onscreen part as Rachel, the owner of a monkey.

Non-Harley/Calliope roles
Geneva ("Duet")
Donna (Dream On episode: "Angst for the Memories")
Monica (I Don't Buy Kisses Anymore)
Bambi (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm; uncredited)
Peg Ferman (Perry Mason: The Case of the Killer Kiss)
Ms. Q, the studio secretary (Comic Book: the Movie)
Judy (From Here to Maternity)
Marcia (Ted and Venus)
Vendetti's Manicurist (Oscar)
Woman at Party (Trading Places)
Diner Waitress (Odd Jobs)
Hobgoblins (uncredited)
She was also a panelist on The New Hollywood Squares

Writing Credits
"The Amazing Three" from the Tiny Toon Adventures episode: Love Disconnection
The pilot episode for "Fired Up" (which she also produced)
Picture Perfect (screenplay)

P.S. I don't think I'd be doing an article on the woman justice if I didn't include at least one clip of her work with America's Funniest People.

P.P.S. No, that's not her in the Harley outfit. Sorry, but time has not been kind to the woman's face. Just do a Google Image search for her.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, didn't know she was married to Christopher Lloyd. Very interesting.

And it's nice to see this again LS!
worstamericanhero
Title: Wise Ass
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 04:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

She's not married to THAT Christopher Lloyd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lloyd_(screenwriter)

Edit: Crap, it doesn't lead to the screenwriter. I can't make it change.
drewbocop
PostPosted: Jan 15 2009 06:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

worstamericanhero wrote:
She's not married to THAT Christopher Lloyd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lloyd_(screenwriter)

There's only one picture on IMDB, and if the order is correct, please tell me the screenwriter Christopher Lloyd is that last guy:

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 01:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

welcome back LS spotlight and a nice way to reboot this franchise

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 02:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well I'll be dipped, I always thought it was THAT Christopher Lloyd who handled Frasier. *edits*

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jan 16 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The non actor Christopher Lloyd also worked on "Wings", one of my favorite sitcoms of all time.
Reply to topic

Jump to: