"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Kimbo Slice lost in 14 seconds

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 02:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kimbo Slice was supposed to fight Ken Shamrock tonight. Shamrock had to pull out of the fight due to an injury during warm up today. Seth Petruzelli was the last minute replacement for Shamrock. Slice, a notorious street fighter, was nearly knocked unconscious, then fell and was mounted and pummeled. The ref quickly stopped the fight.

The unproven and unexperienced Slice was one of Elite XC's top stars. Likely for the same appeal of Tank Abbott in the late '90's. There has been talk of an eventual fight between Slice and Fedor Emelianenko. Some people are saying because of the circumstances, Slice gets a mulligan. There is no reason to think he can't rebound from this. But now the appeal of a Slice/Fedor fight just isn't the same.

Also, my girl Gina Carano won again tonight. If (when) my wife eventually leaves me, I want Gina Carano to be my future ex-wife.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 03:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Best part of Carano was watching her weigh in. She couldn't make weight so she got naked to do it.

Slice is a flash in the pan. Wow, a big black bouncer who could knock someone out if they were given a clear shot. Not so impressive against people with actual mat skills.

scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 04:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

S. McCracken wrote:
Best part of Carano was watching her weigh in. She couldn't make weight so she got naked to do it.

Slice is a flash in the pan. Wow, a big black bouncer who could knock someone out if they were given a clear shot. Not so impressive against people with actual mat skills.

I kind of understood the hype, but not at the level it reached. To me, it isn't much different than Tank Abbott. Sure he can kick some guy's ass who doesn't really know how to fight. He can even kick the asses of some of the lesser MMA fighters. But when Abbott got in there and mixed it up with some legit guys, he was nothing. I think Slice is no different. I do think it is ironic that he got beat by getting punched. Did you see that punch rock him? Maybe it was a one in a million shot. But it might tell a lot about Kimbo's jaw.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 05:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wish I could've seen this, but I heard about it when it happened. I'm stoked, because it was going to happen eventually, but I honestly don't think it was going to come from Shamrock, as he's been getting his ass beat by no-names for two years or so. Hopefully, this is a wake-up call to Slice to get his shit together, just like when Frank Mir beat Lesnar. It's a matter of inexperience, and I hope he trains and gets better in terms of fighting and at least strategy to some extent. At least at that point, Kimbo could be a contender and an opponent to be feared much more, not just some punk brawler from the streets.

RIP Hacker.

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 08:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not into MMA that much, but I did happen to catch the Gina Carano match during Round 2.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 05 2008 07:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Guys like Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice need to get into professional wrestling. They're imposing, but they're not going to make it in MMA. Don't get me wrong, Shamrock is one of the all-time greats, but he's too old for MMA.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Burt Reynolds
Title: Bentley Bear
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 04:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see a slice fedor fight. Fedor would kick the living shit out of him. Like stated earlier, Slice is a big, intimidating street brawler, but put up against an above average MMA fighter, he's not going to stand a chance, and well Fedor is IMO the best heavyweight fighter out there.

Dances with Wolves 2 is gonna ROCK!

mtgrnwdstar
Title: The guy from Chicago
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 03:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Guys like Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice need to get into professional wrestling. They're imposing, but they're not going to make it in MMA. Don't get me wrong, Shamrock is one of the all-time greats, but he's too old for MMA.

Ken Shamrock did have a stint in the former WWF. If I remember correctly, he was their European champion at one point.

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He was the farce that all of us die-hard mma fans knew he was. He looked bad in his last fight, and won by stoppage when the largest undrained ear in the world burst. I mean even if you would put him against Lesnar, arguably the UFC's hyped person, he would be destroyed. Doesn't hurt Brock was a great Collegiate wrestler either but anyway. Also, the Arlovski vs Nelson fight. I mean come one, Nelson hung in there and I give him credit for that, but Arlovski was in there kicking ass looking mean and cut, and Nelson was as flabby as your next beer guzzler. It just looked sad.

scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Burt Reynolds wrote:
I would love to see a slice fedor fight. Fedor would kick the living shit out of him. Like stated earlier, Slice is a big, intimidating street brawler, but put up against an above average MMA fighter, he's not going to stand a chance, and well Fedor is IMO the best heavyweight fighter out there.

For me, I'd rather see Lesnar fight Fedor than Kimbo. The only appeal to a Kimbo/Fedor fight would be to see Kimbo get completely picked apart. Lesnar, who is UFC's Kimbo as far as hype goes, actually seems legit. Couture/Fedor is what seems to be the eventual fight. But if he loses to Lesnar, that fight will lose some appeal just like a potential Kimbo/Fedor fight did Saturday night.

I guess to even imagine somebody will beat Fedor, it will have to happen first. Even then, they would have to beat him best out of three to prove it wasn't a fluke.

But when it comes to the Slice/Petruzelli fight, I do think Slice should get his rematch. He did lose. The rematch may be just as bad. But he at least should get a chance to see if it was a fluke or not.

Personally, I'd like to see Kimbo Slice fight Bob Sapp.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ken left a very successful run in the then WWF because he wanted to do a final run through UFC, to prove he was still "The World's Most Dangerous Man." However, he failed big time. I kept waiting for him to return to WWF/E, but he never did. And, now it's probably way to late since he's past 40.
scamrock
PostPosted: Oct 06 2008 08:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Ken left a very successful run in the then WWF because he wanted to do a final run through UFC, to prove he was still "The World's Most Dangerous Man." However, he failed big time. I kept waiting for him to return to WWF/E, but he never did. And, now it's probably way to late since he's past 40.

I really liked Shamrock. But for some reason, when he was in WWF, I wasn't a big fan of his. Not sure why.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 19 2008 08:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i would love to ground and pound gina carano.

but im afraid she might ground and pound me instead.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Dec 15 2008 03:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kimbo is still a bad dude even if he loses sometimes, he can kick pretty much 90 percent of the people's asses on this planet.

King
PostPosted: Dec 15 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't the point of kimbo being able to kick the average shmo's ass, it's him being able to kick the ass of other pro mma fighters in his weight class. In that, if he is to fight a good fighter he has sucked. In those terms, he has been all hype.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 15 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ermac wrote:
Kimbo is still a bad dude even if he loses sometimes, he can kick pretty much 90 percent of the people's asses on this planet.

In all fairness to Kimbo, he is a bad dude and I actually think he would have beat Ken Shamrock who he was originally supposed to fight that night. But like King said, as far as MMA goes, I really don't think he is good enough to compete with the fighters in top tier companies like UFC.

I would like to see him stay in the business because he will always have a puncher's chance. He also would make good for novelty fights, kind of like when he fought Tank Abbott. I'd still like to see him and Bob Sapp fight.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 16 2008 04:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can't really blame Slice for what happened. Here's a guy who became popular through YouTube, so some idiot promoters looking to start up a new MMA promotion latched onto him and hyped the hell out of him. Is that his fault? Not especially. The man took an easy paycheck from people who couldn't throw money at him fast enough. And at the same time, they knew he wasn't good enough to carry their entire promotion. That's why they put him up against Shamrock. Shamrock is old and broken. Hell, he got his ass kicked on Ultimate Fighter. Slice lived the American Dream, and he taught us that if enough people watch you on YouTube, eventually someone will give you money. Maybe not as much as Slice got though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 16 2008 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He would have been a great money maker too. Its too bad they couldn't keep the hype alive longer. Maybe they could have saved their company from going under. The sad thing for both Kimbo and EliteXC is that if Kimbo fought Petruzelli ten more times, he may beat him every time. I think he got in that one lucky shot.

I don't blame Kimbo one bit. I also don't think he should quit. A lot of the purists hate him and are glad he lost sooner than later. But I think he can be good for the business. Also, for the purists, who cares about the hype. It helps the sport more than it hurts it if it gets more people to support it. A lot of people were initially the same way about Lesnar. They think its bad for the sport because now a lot of us WWE assholes are going to be flocking to "their" sport. Fuck 'em because I've been watching since UFC got its start as a tool for the Gracie family to showcase their shit. Also, fuck 'em because Lesnar is a beast.

King
PostPosted: Dec 16 2008 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Kimbo would have been better had they not banked on him, but instead saw the potential in him, and helped to build him as a fighter. Have him train with a good gym, not that Bas Rutten was bad, but something more Bjj and wrestling, as well as having great striking training. Also, the man needs to quit smoking and work on that cardio. It's the things that make great fighters like GSP be exceptional fighters.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 16 2008 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

King wrote:
I think that Kimbo would have been better had they not banked on him, but instead saw the potential in him, and helped to build him as a fighter. Have him train with a good gym, not that Bas Rutten was bad, but something more Bjj and wrestling, as well as having great striking training. Also, the man needs to quit smoking and work on that cardio. It's the things that make great fighters like GSP be exceptional fighters.

I think EliteXC would have been better if they had not banked on him. Kimbo and Gina Carano were a big part of their main draw. Kimbo was largely untested and women's MMA as appealing as it has the potential to be, isn't enough. Their roster wasn't that impressive. I'd like to see more of Antonio Silva. But really they didn't have anybody that was a huge draw. So they had to rely on a guy like Kimbo.

drewbocop
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

King wrote:

God, I hate GSP and love him at the same time. While I can't stand his arrogance and personality, he is such an exceptional fighter and trainee that I can't hold any sort of grudge against him.

Rycona wrote:
Now that rainbows are confiscate of the Gay Empire Or Whatever©, they're suspect to foul play. People follow it expecting a pot of gold and a leprechaun, but all they find is a mannequin with a melted ass and a bloody rubber inside... and a leprechaun.

King
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 01:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have met GSP at events and he seriously was one of the nicest guys ever. Now you wanna find a dick in mma look no further then holier then thou Matt Hughes. That is such a fucking douchebag, no offense douche, that you want to throw him off a bridge. I have known many people that have met him and was such an ass. GSP couldn't have been nicer though, at least to me.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 02:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've never been a Matt Hughes fan.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
I've never been a Matt Hughes fan.

He's a giant toolbag. Now, he becoming an old giant toolbag.

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: