"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
GameMarathons.com

Reply to topic
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 24 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just a little plug for my website that's been going strong since July. www.gamemarathons.com is dedicated to video gaming marathons and serves as a directory for easy viewing whenever they are broadcast live. A marathon can range from anywhere between 20 and 72 hours of constant game playing and are usually pretty fun to watch and participate in.

So check it out if you enjoy watching sleep deprived individuals playing video games for charity Smile
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 24 2008 03:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Twenty hours isn't a marathon. I'd play games for 20 hours straight all the time in the day. Hell, I still do once in a while.

Now, beating FFVII in 80 hours was a marathon.

How do you play games for charity? Oh well, I'll check the site out later.

---

EDIT: Looking back on the second sentence, it reminds me of Anchorman.

"I'd play games for 20 hours straight all the time in the day." / "They say it works 60% of the time, every time."

"That doesn't make sense."

RIP Hacker.

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Nov 24 2008 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Eseentially those who do these marathons for charity work hard to make them run successfully and smoothly, and provide a weekend of entertainment to those who are interested. So people who appreciate that and are entertained usually donate directly to the chosen charity in the marathon's name. For example, a mario marathon in late June raised over $11,000 for Penny Arcade's Child's Play charity through direct donations from the viewers.

An alternative some marathons have done is the tried and true "sponsorship" scheme much like a normal athletic marathon, where, for example, people "pledge" beforehand to donate $1 for every hour played or something.
Reply to topic

Jump to: