[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NEW RULE: Mind your own business

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is none of your business who has been banned or why. It is not your place to comment on or comment on the character of that person. You, the active members of the forums, are expected to be better and more mature than to dote and dwell and gloat about something that is no longer your concern. If any of your recent posts make reference to any recent bannings, edit them or they will be edited for you.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 02:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oookay, this rule is making me feel a little uncomfortable.

Still, your site, your rules.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If it wasn't causing problems, this wouldn't be happening. We specifically didn't announce it for this very reason.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...While I agree with the idea that bannings shouldn't be followed by a trashing of the person who was banned, I'm really not comfortable with the idea of a "secret police" style disappearance. I think it should be "our business" when someone we've been talking with for months is suddenly forced out.

There's absolutely no need to discuss the person or banning on the board, but I think a simple, locked, "JoeBlow was banned from the boards" post (with or without a reason) should be enough to let people know what's going on and curtail discussion about it.

(For the record, I'm not necessarily talking about this case nor do I even know who got the axe. I'm just giving an opinion)
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 03:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're right Usa. I'll address this properly when I get home.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think any formal announcement needs to made when bannings happen, but there's no reason not to allow people to talk about it.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 04:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They were sent to room 101...

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The original post was a little hasty, and far too intense. So, let's review...

Bannings are a rare occurence on the SL boards, so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue that we'll ever have to revisit. Only four people have ever been banned:

Regal Sin
B.B. King
Vampyr
Murdar Machene

You don't need to know why any of them were banned, just that they all definitely deserved it. After someone is banned, there is no need for post-ban trashing. The person is gone, and that's all that matters. Not only is it completely immature to mock someone that is no longer allowed to defend themselves, but these forums are public. When you talk shit about a banned member, that person can still see it. If they do, the best case scenario is that they are provoked to come back under another name and cause new problems. The worst case scenario is an all-out forum raid.

Regal Sin is an exception to this rule. He is a legendary troll known throughout the internet, and he seems to revel in his troll status. Feel free to continue to use him as a punchline.

In the unlikely event of any future bannings, public notice will be given, in the form of a locked post, as Usa suggested. And if anyone really wants to know the specifics of the four bannings, hit me next time I'm in the IRC channel.
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 06:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Usa, I had no idea anyone got banned.... Until recently. I could care less about it anyways, usually trolls will be trolls and things move on. It would be nice to let the boards know about bannings, yes, but everyone ends up finding out anyways, so its not overly necessary. Also doing so would alienate the person being banned which also isn't fair. The "Banned" label near their avatar and whatnot is probably enough.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 06:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Banned-hammer of justice crushes you.....overpower!

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I had no idea.

I am really tired tonight, so I am going to reserve comments about this for another time.

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar got band? . . . that explains why we haven't seen his zengif face in a while.

You know what's hilarious, i knew about Regal long before coming to the forum. BB King was before my time and Vampyr . . . didn't he have multiple personalities?

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 12 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Funny i was reading the rules thread before you posted this

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I love SydLexia because it is really layed back and has alot of good posters. I think Syd doesn't want this place to become a troll paradise and ruin the credibility it has built up for the last 4 years and I don't blame him. I don't know the situation on some of the posters getting banned but I know you would have to piss Syd off pretty bad to get a ban.

Syd and company are more than fair on moderating from all the forums I have ever visited so I trust their judgement if I am out of line or if someone else is.

Also I think maturity plays a big part in all this. Most of the posters who are regulars here grew up in the NES generation or the early SNES gen. When you have posters who are like 16-19, sometimes they tend to be annoying and not realize it because of the generation gaps.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ermac wrote:
I love SydLexia because it is really layed back and has alot of good posters. I think Syd doesn't want this place to become a troll paradise and ruin the credibility it has built up for the last 4 years and I don't blame him. I don't know the situation on some of the posters getting banned but I know you would have to piss Syd off pretty bad to get a ban.

Syd and company are more than fair on moderating from all the forums I have ever visited so I trust their judgement if I am out of line or if someone else is.

Also I think maturity plays a big part in all this. Most of the posters who are regulars here grew up in the NES generation or the early SNES gen. When you have posters who are like 16-19, sometimes they tend to be annoying and not realize it because of the generation gaps.

this post is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have read in a while.

Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 01:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

what part, the last I am assuming?

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 01:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

the entire thing. I'm not saying anything about you personally or anything.

I just don't agree with anything in your statement.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 08:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

FNJ wrote:
the entire thing. I'm not saying anything about you personally or anything.

I just don't agree with anything in your statement.

That's fine, but typically a rebuttal post like this includes details as to what you don't agree with.

This kind of reminds me of Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny" when he comes up and says "everything that guy just said is bullshit. Thank you."

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 08:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ermac wrote:
When you have posters who are like 16-19, sometimes they tend to be annoying and not realize it because of the generation gaps.

Seems we got lucky with kids, eh? I mean, ThatGuy is barely 13 and I have yet to see a person who found him annoying. Not to gloat, but we also have me (17 in two months) - the only time I remember pissing off a lot of people was in the favorite villains thread when I confessed to not liking the Spider-Man cartoon.

But still, we have M3GA MAN and Hacker, I suppose.

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

While I don't think post-banning mockery is necessary or appropriate, why is it inappropriate for people to know why a member was banned? I would think sometimes it would be better for members to know "If I do something this stupid, I know I'll get banned for it". Suppressing information of bannings, even if it's just the why and not the who, still seems very secret police. If someone winds up on death row in America, everyone knows exactly why.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 01:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
While I don't think post-banning mockery is necessary or appropriate, why is it inappropriate for people to know why a member was banned? I would think sometimes it would be better for members to know "If I do something this stupid, I know I'll get banned for it". Suppressing information of bannings, even if it's just the why and not the who, still seems very secret police. If someone winds up on death row in America, everyone knows exactly why.

Because this isn't America.

People in the justice system we want to punish.

People banned here, we just want to go away.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Dr. Jeebus wrote:

Because this isn't America.

People in the justice system we want to punish.

People banned here, we just want to go away.

People in the justice system... we want to punish? Or we want to rehabilitate?

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't a debate about the justice system. All I'm saying is that I don't see why the information needs to be secret, and if people know what happened then they won't need to keep asking what happened.

UsaSatsui wrote:

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 02:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
People in the justice system... we want to punish? Or we want to rehabilitate?

Depends on who you ask, but I was being a bit too obtuse regardless.

What I mean is that part of a criminal's punishment is that everyone knows what he did. We don't necessarily need to do that here.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that I don't see why the information needs to be secret, and if people know what happened then they won't need to keep asking what happened.

I'm pretty sure you know. Razz

And in my eyes, the only reason to know would be to satisfy curiosity and to badmouth the people in question. The truly curious can find out (It's hardly a "secret", I just think Syd wants to keep this stuff off the public forum), and we don't need the shit-talking. Hell, Syd even said he'd discuss it on IRC. Another reason is that by discussing the person, we either encourage them to come back (to defend themselves, cause more shit, whatever), or validate their actions by drawing attention to them.
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Nov 13 2008 02:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Weren't we supposed to mind our own business?
Reply to topic

Jump to: